"There's only you and me, and we just disagree."

So, on my ventures this morning of all the running my kids to their individual schools. A song, that I have heard a million times, came on the radio. It's an old song, by Dave Mason, titled, "We just disagree". 

And even though I have heard it a million times, one part of the song really hit home, considering what's going on in the world around us. The verse is, "There ain't no good guy, there ain't no bad guy, there's only you and me and we just disagree."

And in a world full of, "this is how I feel, and if you don't agree, then you're {this} or you're {that}!" I wish more people would realize this. I wish more people would stop focusing on being right, rather than actually take the time to listen to what the other person is saying. Because without doing that, all of this bickering back and forth just turns into white noise. I typically don't get involved and voice my opinion online about certain things going on right now, because I have done that in the past, and let me tell you...people go nuts if you don't see everything their way, I even had one person, who did not like that I commented, "I don't understand how all of this bickering back and forth is helping things", on a post where things were getting really heated, call me names, proceeded to find my website, got my business number and began calling/texting me. THIS PERSON WAS A STRANGER TO ME! Who does that?! I also left a few Mommy groups I was a member of because the admins of those sites were being very rude to anyone that was neutral or disagreed with their views, and also encouraged the other Moms in the group that agreed with them to do the same. They actually posted, "If you don't agree with our views then F*** You, we don't want you here!" Over differences of opinion. Wow! This specific one was a site that claimed to be a group that empowers women...They missed the mark on that one.

Anyway, back to the point, I typically don't respond online, however, a friend of mine posted something recently, and I commented with a respectful difference of opinion and stated why I felt that way, and after I did, I thought to myself, "well crap, I guess this friendship is over, I probably should not have responded" considering that seems to be the norm, you don't agree with someone, so you cut them out of your life. But that's not what happened, she responded with a respectful reply stating she disagreed and the reasons why. We actually had a conversation, where at the end we agreed to disagree about the aspects we didn't see eye to eye on, complimented each other, and left it at that. Did our conversation get heated, Nope, did the other persons opinion change either of our minds about how we felt about certain things, Nope. But what it did do was open up the lines of communication, it helped me see the reason's behind how she felt the way that she did, and I hope it helped her see my reason's as well. I understood things from her perspective, even though my perspective was vastly different.

My point is this, I can disagree with the opinion of someone else, but still respect it and still respect them, as well.  Because we all walk a different path in life that makes us who we are. Their opinions and views come from their experiences in their life, as do mine. Are they anymore right or wrong than I am? No, because you can never fully understand why others make the choices they make, or see things the way that they do, because you didn't walk their path. AND THAT'S OKAY! That's the way it is supposed to be. Our opinions and views shouldn't divide us, they should bring us together, spark conversations, help us learn about each others past and experiences, have compassion for one another.

Aside from those who seem to want the opposite, we do have an entire world full of individuals who just want things to get better for everyone around us. I for 1 want my kids and grand kids to grow up in a world where they don't have to be afraid to be their own person and think for themselves. 


But this is just the opinion and ramblings of a 30-something Mommy and Wife, who honestly just wants to see everyone succeed on their life journey, who wants to see more love and less hate. Will this little bitty blog post change the world, probably not. I wish it were that simple, LOL! I know there are much bigger things happening that are out of our control. However, it starts with you, it starts with that one conversation where you really sit down and listen to what the person in front of you is saying, without judgement, just understanding and respect. I feel like that's how we move forward.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uneducated White Woman